I know lemons and other sour and refreshing fruits are usually more popular in summer, but with this one, I never really care which time of year it is. Whenever in need of sth sweet & sour this tart is perfect – refreshing but still so rich in flavor. You can add another meringue layer or add some lavander florets on top, but this time I’ll just stick to the basics. If possible I like to use bio/organic lemons, especially if you decide to add some peel on top.
- tart tin (preferably with removable bottom)
- self standing mixer
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 100g white flour
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- 50g icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 8 large eggs
- 150 ml heavy (whipping) cream
- 100 ml greek yogurt
- 100 ml sour cream / creme fraiche
- 300 ml lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 300 g sugar (white, brown…as you wish)
- 20 g vanilla sugar (or even better, seeds of one vanilla bean and 20 g more regular sugar)
- To make the pastry, put everything except the egg in a food processor, and start mixing on the highest speed. When everything starts to resemble large crumbs add the egg and continue mixing. Larger parts are about to be formed, and you know it is done when it all connects and comes together into one large »ball«. The important thing about pie and tart dough is, to make it in as little time as possible – that way your pastry will be as crunchy as possible.
- When your pastry is done, roll it into a small loaf, cut into 0,5cm thick slices, using a very sharp knife, and start »covering« your baking tin. You should cover the bottom and the edges, where the pastry should be approximately 3cm high. When you’re done, gently press the edges down as necessary, so that the pastry is even all way round.
- Set your oven on 190 C and meanwhile put the tin with pastry into the freezer for about 20 minutes (this will prevent the shrinking of the pastry during baking). Take it out of the freezer and stab it a few times with a fork, to make it possible for air to come out and prevent the bubbles. Bake for about 12 minutes.
- For the filling, put eggs and sugar into the bowl and mix with a mixer or a food processor until lightly fluffy. Than add yogurt and both the creams, and while mixing add the lime and lemon juice. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry, lower the temperature of the oven on 180 C and bake for about 45 minutes on the lower half of the oven.
- When the pie is baked and cooled, generously sprinkle with icing sugar and optionally decorate with lemon peel.